• Català
  • Castellano
  • English
Areas Social action Social Welfare Formentera opens a residence for the elderly

Formentera opens a residence for the elderly

foto 2023ii residencia gent gran AToday Formentera's new residence for the elderly held an open day before the arrival of incoming residents, with attendees including Ana Juan, president of the Consell de Formentera, Francina Armengol, president of the Balearic Government, and various local and regional authorities.

President Juan described the day as "historic" and praised "the outgoing directors and those who made this opening possible." She also described "the immense inconvenience faced by the many families who for years had to travel to Eivissa" and celebrated the fact that "today we can finally offer this essential service locally." The president stressed that "quality of care is fundamental for the Consell", and that the Office of Social Welfare "has worked to implement a people-centred model so that residents can feel at home here."

For her part, President Armengol called the home for the elderly "a collective dream for Formentera residents", and said that when the project began "the Balearic Government was very clear about the need to offer this social and health resource locally." She also applauded Consell's collaboration in planning for the facility.

Rafael Ramírez, social welfare councillor, said that residents would move in progressively from next week, allowing the administrations to "better coordinate the quality of care and residents' adaptation to the facility and caregivers." In the weeks ahead the building will reach full capacity, with the first to arrive coming from homes on Eivissa, which are those who have priority. Nine individuals from Formentera in residences on Eivissa have requested transfers.

Eighteen beds for dependent persons are located across 14 single rooms and two double rooms. There is also an infirmary, offices, reception, indoor and outdoor common areas, dining room, activity room and reading corner.

To optimise personnel and resources, the new residence is physically connected to the adult day care centre. The residence has 13 social and health care assistants and health care personnel, including a physiotherapist, psychologist, occupational therapist and social worker, as well as other services such as a kitchen and maintenance space.

Of €2,065,000 in total costs, the Balearic Government covered 70% and the Consell de Formentera the remaining 30%. The Consell additionally covered the cost of furniture, sanitary material, finishings and personnel. The Consell de Formentera and Balearic Government will sign a collaboration agreement to maintain and oversee the places in the residence for dependent individuals.

16 February 2023
Office of Communications
Consell de Formentera




apneef 2018